Print this page


Feb 2, 2014

Worcestershire U16 Boys Squad

Extra-time heartache for County
Worcestershire bowed out of this years ESFA U 16 National Cup at the quarter final stage yesterday (Saturday).  The squad travelled to Durham and in a game where the high wind made good football impossible  they lost 3-1 in extra time.  Kicking into the wind in the first half Worcestershire played some neat football passing the ball on the floor as much as possible but midway through the first half the hosts took the lead with a well struck shot from outside the box that keeper Keelan Monger (Baxter) was unable to stop as it flew with the aid of the wind into the bottom corner.  Things looked ominous a few minutes later when the keeper brought down a Durham player on the corner of the box, however he redeemed himself to get up and save the penalty diving to his left.  The teams turned round and now it was Worcestershire's turn to have the gale force wind in their backs and for much of the half they camped in their opponents half.  When Dan Cartwright (Haybridge) headed Worcestershire level midway through the half it looked like there would be only one winner.  The county were well on top but although they came close a number of times they could not force the winner.  The game then moved into extra-time and on the stroke of half-time Durham with wind advantage scored a fortunate goal that had as much to do with the elements as good foootball.  At the turn a round with ten minutes left, wind advantage again Worcestershire pushed forward but on the break Durham shot from the edge of the box, with the ball going well wide for a goal kick the wind kept the ball in play as it sailed out to the corner flag, a cross came in and from six yards Durham scored their third.  Close to the end Monger in the Worcestershire goal made an outstanding save that had both home and away supprters standing to applaud.  It was a disappointment to go out this way but the County can be proud of their achievement in going so far in the competition